I've been getting a little bored with the fabric banner we have above our bed so I decided to make pom pom garland to put there instead; however I don't have a fancy pom pom maker.
For today's Make It I'm going to show you how to make a pom pom without a maker bought from the store.
Let's get started!
You will need:
How to make the pom pom maker:
1. Get a small bowl and trace two circles on your cardboard. My bowl is 4 inches. (To get a small pom use a smaller circle.)
2. Cut out your circles
3. Now it's time to draw a smaller circle in the center. I used a small spool that was a 1 inch.
4. Cut out the small circle with your x-acto knife.
5. Place the cardboard with the center cut out on top of the other. Now trace a circle onto that one so they line up perfectly.
6. With your cardboard circles still stacked cut a slit through both of them.
We have finished making our pom pom maker! Let's make us some pom poms!
1. Slip the yarn through the hole from under.
2. Sandwich the yarn between the two cardboard circles.
3. Bring your yarn through the slit, and wrap around and repeat all the way around to the other side.
4. When you get to the right side turn and go back repeating the steps above.
You can keep going until the center circle disappears with yarn, but this is where I usually stop. You can cut your yarn and wrap it in with the rest.
5. Once you have enough yarn wrapped place your scissors between the cardboard circles and begin to cut your yarn.
6. Get some extra yarn and put it between the two cardboard circles, bring the two ends together tightly.
7. Tie a knot twice! You want it to be secure!
8. Pull your yarn out and guess what...
You're done! Throw your pom pom in the air! WOO!
Trim the yarn if it's uneven.
If you'd like a smaller pom pom you can use a smaller circle!
Here's a smaller one that I made. I put a wood stick through it and put it in a vase. It's now sittin' pretty on my night stand!
I made my garland by stitching yarn through the center of each pom pom.
I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. There is so much you can make with pom poms! For example, add with your presents this holiday season.