This weekend we got together with our friends, Shane and Sara Scribner (who are amazing artists. Check out their work HERE) and had a pizza night. What's fun about this night (other than eating lots of pizza) is that we get to take turns choosing the toppings on each pie, so everybody gets to create the pizza of their dreams to share with the group. They make the yummiest of pizzas and they let me share their recipe on my blog today!
So let's learn how to make some yummy homemade pizza:
This will make 3 to 8 pizzas
3 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cool water
1 1/4 cup poolish-style sponge
vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat with a whisk or spoon for 15 minutes.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 3 hours. Refrigerate overnight; it will thicken as it cools.
3. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured work surface and use a knife to cut it into 3 to 8 pieces.
4. Toss the pieces, one at a time, in the flour, gently round them into loose balls, and place them on the prepared pan. Mist the tops of the dough with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 550°F and have your sauce and toppings ready.
6. How to make their homemade pizza sauce:
Put 1 large can unsalted tomatoes in a blender to blend then put in a pan on low. Get one onion, several cloves of garlic and put those into a blender and blend them into a paste. Put them into a second pan with bay leaves and oil and start browning. When it starts to stick to the bottom, add a little bit of water. Once you've reached a nice golden brown consistency add this to the tomato sauce. Add oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Add one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, one tablespoon of sugar, and let cook on low until it has a thick consistency.
7. Place one piece of dough in the center of your cutting board. Press the dough into a circle as far as it will go. When it begins to spring back, stop pressing and let it relax for a few minutes. Press again, spreading the dough as thin as possible (about 1/4 inch) without tearing it and leaving a thicker lip around the edges. If you find that the dough is sticking to your hands, dip them in cold water. Place dough on a pizza peel heavily covered with flour.8. Dress the pizza with the sauce and toppings, leaving at least 1/2 inch of uncovered border around the edge.
I made a classic cheese pizza! What can I say, I'm a simple girl.
9. Slide the pizza into the oven.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or till the edge is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and golden. Lift up the edge of the pizza with a metal spatula or peel to check that the underside is golden brown.
11. Remove the pizza with a peel, slice and serve!
Don't forget a delicious drink!
Happy making and eating!!